Hello all! I'll just start. So I've had a bag of fresh worm castings for about 4-5 months, and I've been letting it sit in this sort of block without disturbing it except to take some off the top. I was thinking "hey the longer they sit the better, right?" Well. I went to make compost tea for the first time in a while, and I noticed gnats this time around upon opening the bag, so I applied Chef B's logic that since gnats live in the top layer of soil you can just scrape that off to remove their eggs. SO. I then noticed some strange coloring beneath this odd gray patch I noticed on top as I began scraping. So I started digging. The soil beneath was completely brown in one patch and white in another, white. It smelled very strongly of mushrooms, like a mealy, almost metallic smell. I guess I have a couple fungi fighting over my bag of worm castings. It looked like a brown and white rot fungus had taken over portions of the bag. My question is, has anyone used fungally dominated worm castings? And are they safe? I am also wondering if they went anaerobic. In particular, I have read people call contaminated soils "brown soil," and am wondering if this can be generalized to what has happened to my castings... Anyway, I mixed the bag up thoroughly to get it oxygenated. Just curious if anyone else has experience with this sort of thing. Ideas are also welcome! Also, I forgot to take pics, I will see if there is any stuff left but the description is as such: brown and white portions of the center/periphery of castings block, not powdery, they looked tighly bound together and reeked of mushrooms. No putrid smell. The brown part was less visibly bound together but not powdery. White portion looked like settled mycelium if I've ever seen it. Update 1/22/2019: From Paul Stamet's "Mycelium Running," "the soil can retain moisture and yet breathe through the membranous lungs of mycelium." So... I had some lungs in my worm castings it turns out. They would have been putrid if they were anaerobic. The fungi must have been keeping it aerobic. Anyway, I mixed it up because I needed bacterially dominated castings for my tea lol not fungally dominated. I wanted the pH in particular to be high in my soils, for veggies, as that was what I was applying it to (for the most part anyway).
I created a social site that focuses on marijuana... Pot Swap Club, were people are able to trade marijuana and more. I created it last year, however I had some health problems and other issues and had to put the site on hold, but now i'm back in action. I just added forums and could use knowledgeable people , if interested, please watch the short video and visit the site... https://potswap.club/ To our success in life "What we tell ourselves, our brain believes"